Saturday, February 9, 2013
Temple of Heaven
The Temple of Heaven, built in 1420, used to be a place where emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties went to worship Heaven and offer sacrifices to pray for bumper harvests and favorable rain. Most of the structures we see today were constructed in the Qing Dynasty. The compound wall was built in a semi-circle in the north and a square in the south. Surrounded by double annular walls, the Temple of Heaven is divided into an inner part and an outer part. The whole area is 273 hectares. In the inner part stand ancient architectural complexes including the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests (picture).
Copyright DonaldChen Photography